Friday, February 12, 2010

Responsibility to Others

I've been thinking a lot lately about how important it is reach out to others. I can remember having a rocky start in my earlier years and all of the people that kept trying to help me along the way. Even though they didn’t get to see the immediate results, they planted the seed. They never gave up on me. Here it is 12-15 years later and I am considered successful. I have an M.B.A, 12 years of business experience, am a director and I’m only 31. I look much younger than I really am by about 7 years. I work in a community college so I often get mistaken for a student, which is kind of fun.

Someone asked me the other day, "Where did you graduate High School?"  I said the truth: "I didn't.  I have a G.E.D."  She looked at me and said, "Are you serious?"  No one today believes that when they first meet me.  People I work with see me as focused, direct and I’ve often been told that I’m “intimidating.” I think it’s because I know exactly what I want and it if I don’t, it doesn’t take me long to get there.

I still feel like that person who had a rocky start. It’s like it was yesterday to me. Now, I know why. It’s my turn. I’m starting to feel like my purpose is to help others, not to pay back the people that helped me, but because it is the right thing to do. Before I get too deep here for some, please understand that this is a breakthrough for me. I always help others, but feel that my capacity is greater and what I can do to help others could be greater. It would be good to show those who took the time to help, that it does pay off, that there is a reward and that people can become great if you just take the time to plant the seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment