Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Art of Letting Go

“Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.” Anon

Letting things go is a process. It’s about learning where to spend and focus your energy. Years ago, I’d let things affect me that have little or no meaning to me today. As I think back to those times, I remember tension, frustration, animosity and negative feelings. In present day, when I think about how miniscule some of those issues were, I sit back and think about the progress that I’ve made.

Letting go doesn’t mean being complacent or not taking action when necessary. It means that you learn that having negative feelings isn’t productive, constructive or progressive. It means that you determine what is necessary and what isn’t. Learning to not focus on the “what isn’t” part is a form of letting go.

As my schedule started to get more complex and the issues I was involved with got more in depth and greater, I started to gain an understanding of how critical this skill is. Not having this skill means that it will be difficult to progress to a higher level.

I consider it a form of art because there is a self-actualization that occurs when you start doing this. You learn about your strengths, you learn about your weaknesses, you learn about where you are and where you want to be.

Stepping back from situations and ranking them on the scale of importance helps to determine whether or not it really requires your attention and focus. If it doesn’t, let it go. It’s about choosing the right battles to win the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment