Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reducing Stress by Setting Boundaries

Taking on the world can be a bit of a challenge. I do believe in stretching your limits every day, but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. This is an area even I can do better in because I tend to take on more and more. Even though it’s part of personal growth, it’s important that boundaries are set and adhered to in order to keep your balance. Otherwise it’s like a teeder-todder…too much weight on one side will cause other areas to go unbalanced. Here are some tips to help reduce stress.

  • Know and set your limits. It’s hard to stretch your limits if you don’t know what they are. Being a young manager, sometimes I think I can do it all. I’ve had to learn where I need help, and where I should be helping.
  • Delegate or Push Back. Maybe this isn’t your responsibility. There are times where someone comes to me with a problem and I want to solve it. Leadership is about getting other people to think about the problem and offer solutions. If you are doing all of it, other people won’t learn.
  • Let some things go or defer them. To me this is one of the hardest things I’ve had to learn. I’m a natural multi-tasker that likes to get things done quickly and move on to the next thing. It’s a critical part of my job. In a time when resources are limited, not everything will get done on the timeline that you would like. All you can do is your best.
  • Determine what you need to focus on. Looking broadly at the big picture is necessary, but execution is key. Try to focus on realistic and measurable goals.
  • Pick your battles. There are so many issues that we think need attention, but separate issues that require attention versus issues in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment